Monday, April 4, 2016

(The Best) Chicken Enchiladas



I think most households have those "staple" recipes.  The ones that are made often enough but that nobody gets sick of.  This is one of those recipes, my friends.  I hope it becomes one of those recipes for you as well.
These chicken enchiladas are not only completely delectable and easy, but I like to make a double batch of filling because it freezes so well.  Just thaw it out, spoon it in the shells, roll them up and ta-daa!  Another great recipe for busy days/nights or when you get some extra dinner guests on a short notice. 
Plus, just look at how delicious these look!!


I love to make homemade enchilada sauce when I can, but there's no shame in using can enchilada sauce in a pinch.  (Thanks, Old El Paso :) ) 
This recipe was posted along with a kids Halloween craft a year or so ago on my blog but I keep kicking myself for not letting these enchiladas be the star of the show, which is why I'm reposting it.  Chicken enchiladas just really are that good!
I wrote sharp cheddar cheese into the recipe below, but in fact, I often times use a blend of sharp cheddar and a white Mexican queso cheese by the brand Supremo.  It's a red package and I've found it at Cub Foods.  It's awesome.  I use a cup of each cheese for a perfect combo. 
In short, you guys totally gotta try this recipe!

Chicken Enchiladas


*3-4 cooked and shredded chicken breasts
*can of cream of chicken soup
*one cup of sour cream
*an 8oz bag of shredded cheddar cheese (I use sharp cheddar for an extra kick!)
*1 small can of corn
*1/2 can green chili's
*1.5 cups of Muir Glen Organic Medium Salsa (it's my fav)
*2 cans of your fav enchilada sauce (OR make your own using the recipe below!)
*12 soft tortilla shells
*one handful of fresh cilantro, chopped

Mix together chicken, soup, sour cream, half a bag of cheese, corn, chili's, and the salsa.  (You can prep this ahead of time and store in the fridge for up to 3 days if you'd like.) Top each soft shell with a heaping spoonful of filling and roll up.  Lay them in the pan seam side down.  Top with at least one can of enchilada sauce (two if you like a lot of sauce) and the remaining cheese.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  Top with fresh cilantro.  I serve mine with lettuce, sour cream, guac or avocado slices, more salsa and sometimes I toss on some black olives.  YUUUUUUUUMMMM.

***If you only need half of the filling, save the other half!  Spoon it into a freezer bag and store in the freezer for a quick meal later on in the month! This filling freezes really well.

If your feeling up to making your own enchilada sauce (and you may as well because this recipe couldn't be easier) here are the deets:

*2 tbls canola oil
*2 tbls flour
*4 tbls chili powder 
*1/2 tsp garlic powder
*1/2 tsp salt
*1/4 tsp cumin
*1/4 tsp oregano
2 cups of chicken of vegetable stock

Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add flour and mix it in there for about one minute.  Then stir in your other seasonings. (chili powder through oregano) Gradually add your stock, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Reduce heat and simmer about 10-15 minutes until your sauce thickens up.  Store in an air tight container for up to two weeks.

*you can follow me on IG or Pinterest @hautedishhousewife, on FB at Haute Dish Housewife https://www.facebook.com/hautedishhousewife , Snap Chat username: HauteDishHWife or on Twitter @HauteDishHWife for more food, fashion and family.

1 comment: